Monday 24 May 2010

Bruce Forman & George Cables - Dynamics (1985)


01.Mutt and Jeff
02.Doxy
03.Be My Love
04.Toscana
05.I Mean You
06.Anna
07.Mimi's Song
08.Felicidade.

George Cables - Piano
Bruce Forman - Guitar.

Although many guitarists have trouble playing with pianists (and vice versa), this guitar-piano duet set by Bruce Forman and George Cables works quite well. The players leave room for each other and sound clearly inspired by the other's presence. All of the performances are concise (clocking in between 3:36 and 6:22, with only "Doxy" over 5:13) and mix standards (such as "Be My Love" and Thelonious Monk's "I Mean You") with a pair of originals and a few obscurities. The volume of this duo may often be low, but the passion can be felt. ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Password:

2 comments:

  1. G'day, and greetings from Australia. I've been a big fan of Bruce Forman since his days with Ritchie Cole. I saw him play a couple of times in Brisbane, and he was superb. I've heard George Cables as a sideman on some Concord releases, so I look forward to hearing this duo. Thanks for the posts and a fantastic blog.

    Wirraroo Brisbane,Queensland, Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce Forman & George Cables - Dynamics
    thanks for this - forman is a fine guitarist. guitar and piano duo is a particularly challenging group - i'm looking forward to hearing how they fit together

    ReplyDelete